Queue Call Waiting (Hold and Waiting Messages)
This article covers detailed queue settings information. We recommend you start by following the instructions in this article before proceeding.
When a caller is routed to a queue, they will hear the standard US ringback tone while waiting for a call to be answered by an agent. You can customize this experience by selecting a different audio file to play in place of the ringback tone or by adding waiting messages to the queue.
- Hold music will play in place of the standard ring tone.
- Waiting messages will play at custom intervals while the call is ringing to the queue agents. Waiting messages also offer additional routing options, such as allowing a customer to leave a voicemail, choosing to continue to hold, or choosing to be routed to another queue.
Configuring Hold Music
By default, queues will play the standard US ring tone while a caller waits for an agent to answer. You can replace this with one of the default system files, including the UK ringback tone and several generic music options. Or, you can upload your own file to play instead. Click here for more information about managing audio files on your account.
- Navigate to Flows → Queues and click edit next to your queue.
- In the General section, locate the field labeled Play message to callers.
- Click the cloud icon on the left side of the field.
- In the pop-up that appears, you can choose upload a new file, use a past file or use a system file. Click Upload Audio after you have selected the file you would like to use.
- Click Save Changes.
Waiting messages will play at specified intervals while the call is ringing to the queue agents. Waiting messages can convey important information to your caller. e.g. current specials, helpful tips, their position in line, and expected wait time.
Waiting messages also offer additional routing options so customers can leave a voicemail, continue to hold, or or route to another queue.
The series of messages can repeat in a loop for as long as the caller continues to hold.
- Navigate to Flows → Queues and click edit next to the queue.
- In the Waiting section, select +Add Message to add a waiting message.
- In the Play Message field configure the message that you wish to play. See this article for more information on how to manage the messages.
- Select expected wait time and the position in the queue to add variables into your message (if you are using a text-to-speech message).
- Use the field to the right of the message field to set how long the call should ring before this message is played. Note: the time delays on each message are relative to the previous message.
- To add routing options to the waiting messages, select the plus sign on the right side of the Play Message field.
- Use the drop-downs to configure the keypress the caller will select, the action it will take, along with the triggers as a result of that keypress (optional). Available actions include:
- Click Save Changes.